MILDURA NO. 29 INLAND AIRCRAFT FUEL DEPOT
NEAR YELTA, VIC
|visits since 3 June 2007|
In early 1939, the Chief of the Air Staff requested a RAAF committee to investigate the specifications for storage tanks in inland locations to store aviation fuel and oil. They were to be located inland to make them immune to attacks from carrier based aircraft.
The Construction of 19 inland aircraft fuel depots (IAFD) and extensions to 5 existing fuel depots was approved in War Cabinet Minute No. 1963, dated 9 March 1942. These sites would store 20, 760, 000 gallons of aircraft fuel.
Typically each depot had a workforce of 5 personnel as follows:-
The construction work on these depots was substantially completed by October 1943. A total of 31 Inland Aircraft Fuel Depots were in operation by May 1944.
No. 29 IAFD was used by the RAAF from 1942 to 1947. It was then used by the NSW Water Commission to store oil. The tanks had 30 centimetre thick concrete walls with a 12 centimetre plate steel lining.
The remnants of No. 29 IAFD have now been sold to the public and now turned into houses which are located on Bunker Road, Yelta. One of them is a Bed and Breakfast place at Lot 35, Meridan Road, Yelta. Steve and Fran Gooding bought four underground fuel bunkers on a 4 hectare property in approximately 1992 and converted one of the bunkers into a 40 square two level house and another into an Underground Bed & Breakfast complex.
The B & B accommodation contains two double bedrooms, another room with double bunks, a cot, plus two bathrooms, a kitchen, a laundry and an outdoor barbecue and spa area.
"Units of the Royal Australian Air Force - A
Volume 6 - Logistics Units
compiled by the RAAF Historical Section
I'd like to thank John Lever for his assistance with this web page.
© Peter Dunn 2006
This page first produced 3 June 2007
This page last updated 03 June 2007