13 SIGNALS UNIT RAAF
IN AUSTRALIA DURING WW2
|visits since 12 November 2002|
13 Signals Unit RAAF was formed at Mt. Druitt in New South Wales on 22 November 1943. Personnel were medically examined at Bradfield Park and issued with their tropical kit. Squadron Leader J.M. Brennan was appointed as the Commanding Officer of 13 Signals Unit on 30 November 1943.
An advanced party moved to new unit headquarters at Strathpine just north of Brisbane on 7 December 1943. The establishment at Strathpine comprised 19 officers and 294 airmen.
On 27 December 1943 an advanced party of 36 personnel moved to Nadzab in New Guinea. An advanced signals installation unit moved to New Guinea on 4 January 1944 and an advanced party for cypher duties moved on 12 January. The wireless transmitting station was operational by the 25 February 1944 and the switchboard was installed and operational by 28 February 1944.
Three detachments of personnel moved to Cape Gloucester in March 1944. Another detachment moved to Finschaffen in April 1944. One of the detachments at Cape Gloucester moved to Tadji on 11 May 1944 followed by parties from Nadzab.
13 Signals Unit was disbanded on 30 June 1944 and reformed as 4 Radio Installation Maintenance Unit which then moved to Noemfoor.
"Units of the Royal Australian Air Force - A
Concise History, Volume 1, Introduction, Bases, Supporting Organisations"
compiled by RAAF Historical Section
Peter Dunn 2002
Click here to E-Mail
This page first produced 12 November 2002
This page last updated 12 November 2002