TOWNSVILLE HARBOUR BOARD -
CONSTRUCTION OF IGLOO TYPE HANGARS
NEAR GARBUTT AIRFIELD
JOB NOS. 46 AND 48, PROJECT NO. 1
|visits since 20 October 2000|
On 15 January 1942, the Townsville Harbour Board wrote to the Department of Interior agreeing to erect hangars for the Department of Air, described as Job Nos. 46 and 48, Project No. 1. They were erected in scrub land near Garbutt airfield to accomodate B-17 Flying Fortresses of the USAAF.
Large earth moving equipment was brought in from the USA very large concrete mixers were used.
The Defence of Townsville Harbour
Construction of the Operations and Signals Room at Ramsay St., Garbutt
"Z" Force Commandos Raid Townsville Harbour
"The History of Townsville Harbour 1864 - 1979"
By H.J. Taylor
Peter Dunn 2002
Click here to E-Mail
This page first produced 20 October 2000
This page last updated 02 April 2002