T & G BUILDING
CORNER OF QUEEN AND ALBERT STREETS,
USED BY THE US ARMY DURING WW2
|visits since 11 June 2002|
The T & G Building on the corner of Queens Street and Albert Street was acquired by Lieutenant Robert Melloy of Hirings Section, No. 1 Lines of Communication (No. 1 L of C), Australian Army. All the tenants under the leadership of Doctor Streeter resisted the takeover of the building. They formed a representative committee to submit a protest to the Federal Government.
Photo: Ken Osterberg, Detachment 3, 832nd Signal Service Company, Signal Section, USASOS
The original T&G
building can be seen behind the statue. The photo was taken from the
section of Albert Street which is now part of King George Square in front of City Hall.
Note the Air Raid Shelter sign and the Tivoli to the left of the Air Raid Shelters sign.
Initially Lt. Melloy agreed to assist them in preparing their protest, subject to them moving immediately afterwards. The protest was submitted and Lt. Melloy requested an immediate response from Army Headquarters in Melbourne. Two hours later he received orders to proceed with the military occupation of the T & G Building. Lt. Melloy advised Dr Streeter of the outcome, advising him there was no alternative but to accept the decision. Dr. Street was the first tenant to leave the building.
The T & Building was used as Headquarters' for the US Army Forces in the Far East (U.S.A.F.F.E.).
There is a plaque in the foyer of the new T & G Building which was built in 1969. It reads:-
World War 1939 - 1945
During the period 20 February 1943 to 31 December 1944, this building was occupied by Army personnel of the United States of America an constituted one of the bases for the direction of War operations which resulted in the Allies gaining victory over the Japanese forces in August 1945.
This plaque was removed from the original T & G Building, which stood on this site from 1923 - 1966.
© Peter Dunn 2005
This page first produced 11 June 2002
This page last updated 20 March 2005