STUART HIGHWAY NORTH
|visits since 4 January 2009|
The 1500 kms Stuart Highway North in the Northern Territory was constructed and sealed during WWII from Alice Springs to Darwin. Work commenced in 1940 and continued throughout the war years. It connected the rail heads of Alice Springs and Larrimah which allowed all weather transport of troops and materials to Darwin. Most of the road construction workers were civilians but assistance was received from the Australian Army and one unit of the US Army also assisted.
An Historic Engineering Marker was unveiled near the entrance to RAAF Base Darwin on 6 December 2007 by the Chief Minister of the Northern Territory, Mr. Paul Henderson to recognise the historical significance of this highway. A bronze Plaque is mounted on a large piece of Mount Bundy granite.
Engineering Heritage Australia Newsletter
Heritage Marker on "The Track"
by Owen Peake
Page 5, Edition No. 21 December 2008
© Peter Dunn 2006
This page first produced 4 January 2009
This page last updated 04 January 2009