MOTHER OF GOOD COUNSEL SCHOOL,
COMMANDEERED BY THE MILITARY DURING WW2
|visits since 23 June 2002|
The Mother of Good Counsel School in Cairns in tropical north Queensland was commandeered by Hirings Section, No. 1 Lines of Communication (No. 1 L of C) during WW2.
The School was taken over by the Army for almost 2 years. There was no where for the sisters to take classes. It was too far to travel to travel to St. Monica's. The only alternative was for the children to attend the local State School.
The Mother of Good Counsel School was finally returned to the sisters in August 1944 after much negotiation. It took the sisters another 2 years to attract the 60 children back to the school from the State School.
"And all this shall be
Catholic Education in Queensland - Volume VI
by Susan Mary Tobin
© Peter Dunn 2004
This page first produced 23 June 2002
This page last updated 20 March 2004