CHURCH OF ENGLAND BOY'S SCHOOL,
COMMANDEERED BY THE AUSTRALIAN ARMY
|visits since 22 June 2002|
The Church of England Boy's School in Toowoomba was acquired by Captain Melloy of Hirings Section, No. 1 L of C, for the Australian Army. The staff and students were moved eastwards to St. Hilda's School at Southport in April 1942.
The school was used as the Headquarters, 1st Australian Army under the command of Lieutenant-General Sir John Lavarack.
The school returned to Toowoomba in early 1944. It took Forty four 3-tonne trucks to bring all of the school equipment etc back to Toowoomba. 14 military tradesmen, 6 labourers and 12 Javanese took nearly 6 weeks to return the school to some normalcy.
A plaque was unveiled at the School's Annual Dinner in 1992 to commemorate the occupation by the Australian Army in World War 2.
Schools @ War
"Time Will Tell - Memoirs of a
Kangaroo Point Kid"
As told to Diane Melloy
© Peter Dunn 2004
This page first produced 22 June 2002
This page last updated 20 March 2004