"THE BRIGHTON RIFLES"
4TH INFANTRY BRIGADE
3RD INFANTRY DIVISION
IN AUSTRALIA DURING WW2
|visits since 12 June 2005|
In September 1939, the the 46th Infantry Battalion was part of the 3rd Military District of the Australian Army, which covered all of Victoria. The headquarters for the 3rd Military District was located in Melbourne.
3rd Infantry Division
4th Infantry Brigade: HQ Melbourne
22nd Battalion (The South Gippsland Regiment): Leongatha
29th Battalion (The East Melbourne Regiment): Fitzroy
46th Battalion (The Brighton Rifles): Brighton
The 46th Battalion was formed in Brighton, in Victoria. It became known as "The Brighton Rifles". The Battalion moved to the Seymour area in Victoria for training. In September 1941, the 46th Battalion marched 120 miles to Bonegilla.
In March 1942, the Battalion moved by train to Queensland and camped at Warwick, west of Brisbane. The 46th Battalion took part in the Anzac Day parade in Warwick on 25 April 1942.
The Battalion then moved to Beenleigh in April/May 1942 and undertook jungle warfare training at Mt. Tamborine.
The Battalion then moved to the Sunshine Coast with "B" Company camping at Landsborough in June 1942. As part of their training, they would walk cross country to Dickie Beach in the morning and have a swim at the beach.
The 2/12th Battalion returned from the Middle East and also trained in the same area. Some members of the 46th Battalion detached to the 2/12th and trained with them from 18 July 1942 until 24 August 1942 in the Maleny area. One of their longest walks was 100 miles long in one particular week.
The 46th Battalion then moved north to Tinana just south of Maryborough in September/October 1942.
The Battalion then moved back to the Brisbane area and camped at Camp Chermside in October 1942 where the Battalion was disbanded. 77 members of the Battalion returned to Melbourne as re-enforcements for other infantry units who were serving in the Middle East and returning to Australia for service in the South West Pacific area.
Other ex members of the 46th Battalion were allocated to the 114th Light Anti-aircraft Regiment and commenced training with that unit in November 1942.
I'd like to thank Russell Miller and Ken Ross for their assistance with this home page. Ken joined the 46th Battalion in August 1941 and went on to transfer to the 114 Light Anti Aircraft Regiment in about October 1942.
© Peter Dunn 2005
This page first produced 12 June 2005
This page last updated 12 June 2005