Werribee Airfield was built on approximately 340 acres of land acquired from the Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works beside the Princes Highway during WWII to become a Relief Landing Ground for Point Cook Airfield and Laverton Airfield. The land was know as Metropolitan Far, Werribee. Construction of five large hangars commenced in mid 1942. Four of the hangars were 96 feet by 130 feet. Geelong based builder J.C. Taylor completed building the hangars in mod 1943. Due to a shortage of steel, local hardwood sourced from the nearby Oatway Ranges was used in lieu of steel for the trusses.
Plan on National Archives of Australia
No 9 Repair and Salvage Unit (9 RSU) RAAF was formed at Werribee Airfield on 15 September 1943. The unit was involved in salvaging and repairing various crashed aircraft in the region. They moved to Sattler in the Northern Territory in April 1944.
No 22 Repair and Salvage Unit (22 RSU) and No. 26 Repair and Salvage Unit (26 RSU) also spent time at Werribee Airfield during WWII.
No 1 Recovery Depot RAAF was also based at Werribee Airfield during WWII
No. 1 Stores Depot RAAF also had a detachment based at Werribee Airfield during WWII.
No 12 Aircraft Repair Depot (12 ARD) also were based at Werribee Airfield during WWII.
There was a RAAF Radio Receiving Station at Werribee which was part of the Melbourne Radio System. There are some photos on the Trove Picture web site.
No 5 Medical Receiving Station RAAF was established at The Manor at Edgar St, Werribee about 1.5 kms north of the Werribee Airfield.
The Werribee Bombing Range was located approximately 5.5 miles west of Werribee Airfield. Many of the WWII Bomb craters can still be seen on Google Earth.
The US Army established a Radio site almost 5 miles north west of Werribee Airfield.
The Australian Army had been using the nearby Racetrack as a camp. An advanced party of the 2/3rd LAA Regiment moved into camp there on 20 August 1940.
In 2014 the former WWII Werribee Airfield was being used by the B-24 Liberator Memorial Fund Inc. for the rebuilding of their B-24 Liberator A72-176 inside one of the former WWII Hangars.
Byron Bay Web Hosting
Green Web Hosting
© Peter Dunn 2006
This page first produced 5 September 2014
This page last updated 06 September 2014